New-age banking institutions do much more than just help customers with cash withdrawals and deposits. Many banks offer digital financial services to help their customers manage finances conveniently.
Similarly, many banks indulge in providing loans to individuals and enterprises. Since there are many banking processes, these institutions might need external help. Commercial, regional, investment, and corporate banks often outsource some banking services to a reliable third party. By outsourcing services, banks enhance their productivity and revenue.
Read on to understand the pros and cons of outsourcing banking services in 2023.
Outsourcing Services for Banks
In today’s era, banks must remain competitive at all times. For the same rationale, they cannot ignore crucial banking processes. If a bank stops offering a few services, it might lose customers. With the help of reliable third parties, banks can reduce their overhead burden. Banks face financial, service, and operational challenges in today’s era. Outsourcing is a viable solution for banks to overcome these challenges.
Banks usually outsource a part of their daily operations to a reliable third party. The third-party works on delivering regular banking services on behalf of their client (the bank in this case). While some banks only outsource a few services, others might outsource an entire department. BPOs, research firms, and other third parties around the country are entities to which banks outsource their services.
Understanding the Pros of Outsourcing Banking Processes
Here are the benefits of outsourcing banking processes to third parties:
- Banks can cut down the number of in-house employees required via outsourcing. They don’t have to invest heavily in recruiting and on-boarding employees working internally. Many banks hire in-house loan processors for credit investigation and cross-checking loan applications. With the help of an outsourcing firm, the bank will not need a large team of in-house loan processors.
- Even if a bank finds the right in-house employees, there is no surety the bank has access to the top talent. Finding talented in-house loan processors, credit researchers, and financial experts is not easy for a bank. With the help of an outsourcing firm, a bank can gain access to top talent. Banks will get advice from financial experts without investing in recruitment and training.
- Another benefit of outsourcing for banks is reduced turnaround time. Banks can process loans faster by hiring an outsourcing firm. Such third parties make it easier for banks to process customer requests faster with reduced turnaround time, in addition to increasing customer satisfaction rate and overall banking efficacy.
- By outsourcing non-core banking functions, a bank will allow its employees to focus on core competencies. Senior management professionals can also focus on core competencies and increase the bank’s competitiveness.
- Banks can access unbiased and fresh ideas by partnering with an outsourcing firm. Also, the bank will get help to maintain its compliance status. Outsourcing firms are usually aware of the changing compliance norms in the banking sector.
- Reputed third parties can help banks introduce new technologies into their existing infrastructures. With the help of modern technologies, banks can automate redundant processes.
Understanding the Challenges of Outsourcing Banking Processes
Besides the pros of outsourcing banking services, there are also some challenges. Banks must be aware of the challenges that come with outsourcing. A bank will only benefit from outsourcing if the challenges are addressed beforehand.
Here are the challenges of outsourcing banking processes in 2023:
- Compliance errors by the outsourcing partner can lead to financial penalties
- The quality of outsourcing services will directly impact the bank’s reputation
- Differences in opinions with the outsourcing partner can lead to strategic risks within
- Increased data security risks due to an unreliable outsourcing partner
- Employees might have to be motivated to do new tasks and ditch redundant tasks
Outsourcing is the right choice if you want to reduce operational costs and seek external advice. A bank must choose the right outsourcing partner with a good reputation in the industry. Don’t forget to compare the pricing of different third parties before choosing a partner.